Painting and Drawing the Head
|INSIDE:||265 colour photographs|
Painting and Drawing the Head combines technical instruction, art history references and thoughts on the day-to-day practice of painting the head from life. The rich text, supported by over 100 paintings, gives a thoughtful account of the process of capturing a likeness. After introducing materials, principles and ideas, it follows the course of painting a head in five sittings, providing unique insight and practical comment throughout: from the choice of ground for the picture, through the set-up, the structure of the sessions, guidance on how to compose and what palette to use, all the way to the later stages of developing a portrait over time.
- Equipment notes about what to paint on and what to paint with
- The importance of looking, and training your eyes
- Advice on tone, colour, perspective and composition
- Photographs explain lighting decisions and set-ups
- The progress of painting a head over five sittings
- Notes on painting a self-portrait
Site Price: £13.59E-Book Edition: £14.99 (incl. VAT)
" This thorough and comprehensive guide goes a long way beyond simple instruction and demonstrations and is a book to read through rather than dip into.
Daniel Shadbolt's book feels like an extended tutorial particularly rewarding the serious student. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: The Artist