Stickmaking - The Complete Guide
|PUBLISHED (THIS EDITION):||04/06/2018|
|INSIDE:||349 colour photographs|
Sticks are essentially practical aides but are also works of art that often become integral to the owner. They have to be strong and reliable, but are beautiful too. This essential book covers all these qualities - it explains the traditional principles and methods of stickmaking, but also celebrates the designs and ideas behind these creations. Written by an award-winning stickmaker, it provides a full account of this age-old craft.
Topics covered include:
- Materials, equipment and tools required to make a variety of sticks from timber, antler and horn
- Stick types and shape and suggestions for ideas and inspiration
- Preparing timber to make handles and shanks - how to cut and collect green timber, and methods of storing and protecting the timber from pests
- Straightening shanks - how to make simple jigs and equipment to straighten bent sticks
- Making joints - how to make strong and reliable joints between the handle and the shank, and how to fit a ferrule onto the tip of the stick
- Advice on exhibiting and competing - tips on what judges will look for
Site Price: £14.40E-Book Edition: £16.00 (incl. VAT)
" This is a must have book for anyone interested in Stickmaking. It’s a superb book and appears to cover every aspect of this wonderful craft, as the title says, it’s a complete guide. Both novice and experienced stickmakers will benefit from owning this book, it’s very well written and illustrated "
Review Type: Customer
Posted By: Davi Waldock