Botanical Art with Scientific Illustration
|PUBLISHED (THIS EDITION):||11/06/2018|
|INSIDE:||429 colour illustrations|
Botanical and scientific illustration share many common themes - the meticulous observation, the crucial composition, the precision of rendering and the accuracy of colour are all intrinsic to this niche genre of art. In this beautiful book, Sarah Jane Humphrey explains the techniques of the botanical artist but also introduces ideas for scientific illustration, so that the illustrator has a fuller understanding when rendering the natural world.
A unique strength of the book is its account of professional practice. It looks at how an illustrator can promote themselves through social media, present their art to best effect and work successfully with clients.
Illustrated with over 200 of the author's exquisite illustrations, it is an invaluable companion for both beginners and experienced artists, as well as a source of inspiration and joy.
- Emphasis on understanding the natural world, studying and appreciating its beauty in order to draw it accurately
- Detailed instruction on all aspects of illustration, from application and materials to research and field trips
- Practical advice on using monochrome and colour theory to bring your illustration to life
- Introduction to the principles of composition and the Fibonacci sequence
- Visual tutorials follow the process and describe the techniques of the illustrator
- Professional tips on how to record, frame, store and promote your artwork
Site Price: £15.19E-Book Edition: £14.99 (incl. VAT)
" HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Botanical Art with Scientific Illustration by botanical artist/illustrator and tutor Sarah Jane Humphrey is PACKED full of content relevant to the artist and illustrator who aspires to a professional career in botanical art and illustration - a lot of which is not covered in other books. This is emphatically NOT a "how to paint" step by step book. This is a book which is more suitable for all those who have acquired some skills and competence in drawing and painting - and now need to move up a gear. It's written in a conversational style which I think a lot of people will find very accessible. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: Katherine Tyrrell - Botanical Art & Artists