Ilyushin IL-28 Beagle:- Light Attack Bomber
|PUBLISHED (THIS EDITION):||November 2002|
|INSIDE:||24 pages colour photos, 126 b/w photos, 36 line drawings|
The Il-28 entered service with the USSR Air Force in 1950 and has often been dubbed 'The Russian Canberra'.
The first prototype was powered by Rolls-Royce Nene turbojets, but production models were powered by two 5,950lb.s.t. Klimov VK-1s.
The aircraft had a maximum speed of 600 mph at sea level and 515 mph at 36,000 ft. Service ceiling was 40,000 ft and range 2,000 miles. It was armed with two fixed forward-firing 23-mm cannon and two 23-mm cannon in a manually-directed tail position.
The aircraft served with the air forces of Egypt, China, Czechoslovakia and Poland, in addition to the USSR. A trainer version is known by the NATO name Mascot. The Il-20 was a conversion for Aeroflot operation on high-speed freight services.