Backyard Beekeeping and Honey Production
|INSIDE:||59 colour photographs 9 diagrams|
Bees are an essential part of our natural world and their importance in pollinating our food crops cannot be overstated. Over a third of the world's food is dependent upon pollinators, of which the honey bee Apis mellifera is possibly the most important. This informative book introduces newcomers to the fascinating and rewarding craft of beekeeping and honey production and sets out in simple terms the needs of this complex creature.
Topics covered within the book include:
- Setting up your first hive
- How to handle bees correctly and with confidence
- Practical advice on the honey harvest
- Winter feeding and inspection
- Marketing your bee products and the legal requirements
- Diseases, how to avoid them and how to deal with them
"Unlike some of the books I've read on beekeeping, this book demystifies the whole business and provides a thorough introduction without slipping into jargon and without assuming any prior knowledge.
Whether setting up a hive for the first time, building on existing knowledge, or looking to sell bee products on a small scale, this book will be a useful companion."
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: Country Smallholding