Aeroplanes of the Royal Aircraft Factory
|PUBLISHED (THIS EDITION):||February 1999|
|SIZE:||280 x 220 mm|
|INSIDE:||170 black & white photographs|
Farnborough Common has been the spiritual centre of British aviation for almost a century. In 1904 the Army’s Balloon Factory relocated to Farnborough where experiments began.
Renamed the Royal Aircraft Factory in 1912, it became a repair facility for damaged aeroplanes. From these aeroplanes new designs were formed which became the mainstay of the Royal Flying Corps until the 1920s.
From the early ballooning and Kite experiments through to the formidable 5E5, the author describes the events, personalities and background to a highly successful series of aeroplanes and engines.