Keeping Geese - Breeds and Management
By Dr Chris Ashton
|INSIDE:||160 colour photographs & 10 diagrams|
Keeping Geese is a complete guide to the domesticated goose. It shows how this intelligent bird has been absorbed into different cultures throughout history: from the taming of the Greylag and the Swan goose to the exhibition of the mighty Toulouse, the story of the goose is intimately involved in both Eastern and Western cultures.
Written from thirty years of first-hand experience of keeping, breeding and exhibiting these birds, Keeping Geese gives an insight into their habits and behaviour. Pure breeds of geese, hand-reared, are tame, responsive and intelligent. Reared well, they will give hours of interest and pleasure for life.
Covers the following and much more:
- Domestication of the goose from the wild, and development of the breeds.
- Why keep geese - as garden pets, eggs, exhibition, table birds.
- Getting started with geese.
- Understanding geese - breeds, physiology and behaviour.
- Management of adult stock.
- Breeding, incubation and rearing goslings.
- Recognizing and treating ailments.
This page was printed from http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=