Stickmaking - The Complete Guide
|INSIDE:||349 colour photographs|
Sticks are essentially practical aides but are also works of art that often become integral to the owner. They have to be strong and reliable, but are beautiful too. This essential book covers all these qualities - it explains the traditional principles and methods of stickmaking, but also celebrates the designs and ideas behind these creations. Written by an award-winning stickmaker, it provides a full account of this age-old craft.
Topics covered include:
- Materials, equipment and tools required to make a variety of sticks from timber, antler and horn
- Stick types and shape and suggestions for ideas and inspiration
- Preparing timber to make handles and shanks - how to cut and collect green timber, and methods of storing and protecting the timber from pests
- Straightening shanks - how to make simple jigs and equipment to straighten bent sticks
- Making joints - how to make strong and reliable joints between the handle and the shank, and how to fit a ferrule onto the tip of the stick
- Advice on exhibiting and competing - tips on what judges will look for
Site Price: £14.40E-Book Edition: £16.00 (incl. VAT)
" My recently ordered book Stickmaking,The Complete Guide was delivered last week. Having thoroughly enjoyed Charlie Walker's first book, his new book was eagerly awaited. I was not disappointed. The first thing I noticed was the excellent very clear pictures which are essential in order to carry out the many stickmaking exercises in the book. This is a book for the practical stickmaker who wants to make sticks using wood, buffalo horn, ramshorn, antler etc. with drawings and clear instructions on how to do so. There are details of all the tools and equipment needed to carry out wood shaping , carving, horn bulking, and bending also shank straightening etc. There are many pictures of finished sticks like plain crooks, walking sticks of all types, several breeds of dogs, species of bird, types of animals etc. with pictures and guidance which can be followed with relative ease. I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to make practical attractive sticks to be proud of. "
Review Type: Customer
Posted By: tim elliott
" This is a must have book for anyone interested in Stickmaking. It’s a superb book and appears to cover every aspect of this wonderful craft, as the title says, it’s a complete guide. Both novice and experienced stickmakers will benefit from owning this book, it’s very well written and illustrated "
Review Type: Customer
Posted By: Davi Waldock