|INSIDE:||185 colour photos, 11 diagrams & 3 maps|
The characteristic landscape of the Lake District is influenced by its geology. The huge array of different rocks found there determines the shape and appearance of the fells and dales. Also, as the dominant building material in the region, rocks impact both the local architecture and the economy through quarrying.
A simple easy-to-read guide to the rocks of the English Lake District, with nearly 200 colour illustrations including diagrams, maps and photographs, this book:
- Provides an understanding of the main types of rock
- Characterizes over sixty of the most common rocks
- Describes where to find them and how to recognise them in the landscape
- Details the use of rocks in local buildings
- Discusses how the rocks are still quarried today and their importance to the local economy
Site Price: £13.59E-Book Edition: £12.99 (incl. VAT)
" There are many good guides to the geology of the Lake District and this is no exception. However, this is first and foremost an illustrated guide to the region's rocks and an introduction to the common rock types found, largely through the use of colour photographs. It also explains how they fit in with the Lake District's geological history. Therefore, if you want a simple, colourful and well written guide to the Lake District, this is a very good start. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: Deposits Magazine